A Guide to RaD Car Hire’s Insurance Liability and Excess Reduction Charges
RaD Car Hire’s branches nationwide are franchised and as such individual owner-operators set the appropriate insurance liability, excess reduction rates, bonds, credit card security and conditions for younger drivers or licence categories.
To view the rates and conditions that will apply to your hire, please obtain an online quote, place a booking request, or contact the appropriate branch to request this information.
Please also view our Standard Terms and Conditions and refer to clause 11 relating to Insurance and Hirer's Liability.
Note that, in the event of a single vehicle accident, misjudgment of dimension, willful damage, reckless or careless driving, the full excess may apply regardless of the excess reduction option selected. Restricted drivers must always meet and abide by the rules of their licence.
- All RaD Car Hire vehicles have insurance cover which is included in the daily rate quoted.
- This is referred to as our “risk taker cover” or “standard insurance cover.”
- All pricing includes GST (Goods and Services tax)
- Refer to your quote, confirmation email and/or rental agreement for the specific insurance excess liabilities, excess reduction rates and any surcharges if you are under 21 or on a restricted driver’s licence.
- Please note that not all branches permit hirers on a restricted licence to hire their vehicles, and some branches may hire only selected vehicles to hirers who are under 21 and/or on a restricted licence. Please check with the branch before placing a reservation.
Bond / Security Requirements
RA credit card and/or bond may be required as security over any vehicle being hired. Bond requirements vary by location, and a debit card or cash may not be accepted by all branches.
Selecting the Stress Free or Full Cover Insurance Liability Reduction option does not automatically mean that a bond is no longer required, please check with the branch concerned.
Younger Drivers/Restricted Licences
Some locations have conditions or constraints for drivers under 21 and those on a restricted licence, and some car categories may only be available to hire for drivers over 25. Please check with the branch for any specific requirements that apply to your hire.
In the Event of An Accident
In the event of an accident a claim form must be completed by the hirer or listed driver and handed back to a RaD Car Hire agent. A claim form can be requested from the hiring location or may be found in the glove compartment of your rental car. Please take photos of the scene with your phone and obtain the details of any third parties involved.